Quality analytics became the basis for modern business success. It allows to define the development direction and optimize it during implementation.
Boxing it in the form of a case study allows taking a closer look at reasons and consequences. Such retrospective gives the ability to come up with solutions and prevention methods to apply in similar situations.
According to the Content Marketing Institute, a case study analysis is also one of the most powerful lead generation remedies for 44 percent of marketers.
With content overload, customers trust others’ experience supported by result evaluation of more than unproven promotional statements.
That’s why writing a case study analysis became an essential part of college training for future entrepreneurs.
To become an academic expert takes years of studying. Academic experts are experts in how and what others have done. They use case studies and observation to understand a subject.Simon Sinek, the British motivational speaker
And to be an expert is the only way to survive in the fierce market competition. So if you have chosen this career track but find the task too challenging you should go through it anyway. Not for a grade but for the future.
How to Analyze a Case Study
Once the assignment in your hands there’s not much time to learn how to execute it. That’s why it’s better to get familiar with the task and ensure that you comprehend how to deal with it step by step. It’s quite a time-consuming task, so it’s better to decide if you need any help in advance.
Start with reading a case study scrupulously, highlighting and noting the important issues. You should take it to pieces to detect the problem and its causes. Understand the situation to provide an appropriate vision for resolution.
The goal of any case study analysis example is coming up with lots of solutions which can be used for further application on similar occasions. To avoid false results you should approach the task following the guidelines below.
- Problem identification. What led to the unpleasant consequences for business?
- Cause determination. What led to the problem appearance?
- Factor elicitation. What brought up the problem and accelerated its influence?
- Data verification. Are the defined case study elements valid?
- Solution formulation. What can resolve the arisen question?
You should take into account that the described problem is complex and ergo consist of smaller issues. They should be addressed separately or together. It depends on their essence, importance, and urgency that are different for each particular case.
Consider that all collected data and defined variables should be valid and reliable. That’s why even sample case study analysis requires extra research to ensure that investigation won’t lead to false results.
Variables are environmental conditions, processes, and resources including humans that ensure their running. Data is provided by metrics that tracked to ensure the efficiency of business workflow. However, the available information must exceed the needed amount for the goal achievement. That’s why the prior relevance selection is required.
When the preparation is complete you should proceed to the generation of alternative solutions based on the collected data. If you accomplish the task the first time it’s important to avoid the common mistakes:
- Unrealistic methods. Unlike real circumstances, each distinguished point in your example of case study analysis can’t extend the given value. Your solution should stick in the limitations of the described ecosystem. Otherwise, it will be inapplicable and ergo irrelevant for the task.
- Correlated suggestions. The goal is to come up with completely separate solutions. They should lead to completely different consequences. But they shouldn’t partly share approaches, methods or remedies that can make one the segment of the other.
- Uncompleted alternatives. The report shouldn’t be filled with ideas requiring some further examination. Each variant should be completed and present a certain to-do list in which accomplishment will lead to the desired results.
- Unequal options. Presenting one idea clearly than the other ones isn’t the relevant strategy unless it’s reasoned. Any solution should be valid and have certain advantages in comparison to others.
- Disregarding obstacles. Although any case study establishes some conditions, your solutions should fit in your suggestions. You should take into account possible difficulties that may arise when they will be applied. If they can’t be realized, they aren’t actual solutions.
Consider that doing nothing is not a joke, it can be a relevant option so don’t disregard it. But the basic principle is to find solutions and not interpret the data in your favor to stick unsuitable ones.
Once the analysis is complete you should outline. A report has a certain form you should follow. Sticking your notes on the go can negatively affect the statement presentation.
How to Write a Case Study Analysis
If you’ve done a good job with your draft it won’t be that hard to complete the report. It has a strict structure you should follow to present your statement consistently and professionally.
Review a framework example of case study analysis report that is commonly used in different college curriculums.
- Introduction. Shortly arise a key problem and provide a concise summary of upcoming content. Present your vision, not details, to prepare the reader for the report evaluation.
- Background. Mention crucial case study facts. Show additional research that helped you find both the problem and its solution.
- Alternatives. List the variants you developed for the issue you assigned as the core ones. Reject some of them with proper argumentation based on their cons for this particular situation.
- Solution. State the most suitable way out of the crisis in detail. Support it with an appropriate theoretical basis. Explain the choice and provide predictions for the consequences of its application.
- Recommendations. Ensure the right implementation of the solution. Provide guidelines on actions and methods, or even a complete plan for the given enterprise. Otherwise, you can’t guarantee the usability of your solution for achieving the required goal.
While writing, imagine that you would have to present the report in front of the audience. Going too complicated as harmful to your success as going too simple. The main goal is to deliver the message that will state what and why happened as well as how to resolve it now and avoid it in the future.
Case Study Analysis Format
Any college establishes certain demands for academic writing. Despite the business orientation of the task, nothing changes here. You should adhere to the established format and the recommendations to the following aspects:
- Authenticity. You need to present appropriate statistics, quote accomplished professionals or used materials to prove your concept.
- Actuality. Although the case can describe even the past century situation, it’s important to show its usability for modern business. Or show its impact on further market development of approaches to strategic planning.
- Uniqueness. Each problem doesn’t have an endless number of solutions. It is hard enough to find all them with limitations of a case study for inexperienced analysts. Still, your report should present your original vision instead of restating the opinions of others.
If you’re using a case study analysis template it doesn’t mean that the job with formatting is done. Besides structuring, there are spelling, grammar, semantic, style, and other aspects that won’t spoil the content meaning, but worsen the impression about your work.
That’s why it’s important to leave enough time for proofreading and revising.
Learning how to analyze a case study is one of the most useful skills for future representatives of the business world. Consider the others’ mistakes for own development. Take an analytical approach to decision-making. It is the first step to cost-efficiency through enterprise digital transformation.